Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a ministry approved program that lets high school students focus on a specific economic sector. The program customizes a student's education to suit their interests and talents all while earning an OSSD.
When students graduate with a SHSM they will have obtained industry specific knowledge with focused certifications and training. This will also be a great addition to a resume, while preparing the student for future career opportunities and/or post-secondary applications.
- SHSM is for ALL pathways: Workplace, Apprenticeship, College or University,
- Students in a SHSM take a bundle of related courses in grades 11 & 12 to their sector of interest,
- Co-op is a key component of all SHSM programs, allowing students to engage in an authentic workplace experience and 'test drive' a career while still in high school,
- SHSM also offers industry recognized training & certifications, experiential learning, and reach-ahead opportunities. All at ZERO COST to the student.
Below is a sampling of learning opportunities that various SHSM students across LKDSB have participated in this 2022/23 school year:
|Training & Certifications||Experiential Learning||Reach-Ahead Opportunities|
|- First Aid/ CPR|
- Working at Heights
- Elevated Platforms
- Audition preparation
- Food Handler's Certification
- Pesticide Training
- Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) flat test
|- Workshop with music photographer/ Juno nominee Richard Beland|
- Van Gogh Immersive Art Experience
- Tour RM Facilities (classic vehicles restoration)
- Lambton College Pow Wow
|- ECE Career Spotlight day|
- Raptor's 905 Career Forum
- Tour of Univ. Guelph's Livestock barns & Anerobic Digester at Ridgetown campus
Upon graduation and completion of their SHSM program, students will receive an Embossed Red Seal on Ontario Secondary School Diploma along with a SHSM Record (recognized by post-secondary institutions and sectors), documenting their courses and experiential learning.
To learn more, please visit Ontario.ca SHSM or speak to a guidance counselor at your local secondary school.
SHSM Sectors at LKDSB
To learn more about specific details within each sector, click on the sector name.
|SECTOR||SCHOOLS offering the Sector:|
|Agriculture||LCCVI, LKCS, NLSS, RDHS|
|Arts & Culture||CKSS, GLSS, JMSS, LCCVI, NCIVS, RDHS, WDSS|
|Construction||AMSS, CKSS, GLSS, JMSS, LKCS, NLSS, RDHS, TDHS|
|Health & Wellness||AMSS, BDHS, CKSS, GLSS, JMSS, LCCVI, LKCS, NCIVS, NLSS, RDHS, TDHS, WDSS|
|Info & Comm Tech||NCIVS|
|Manufacturing||AMSS, BDHS, CKSS, LCCVI, NLSS, WDSS|
|Transportation||CKSS, GLSS, JMSS|
Click here to know what is a Specialist High Skills Major.