Attention Students attending AMSS in September 2020
We have created a Google Classroom to help with your transition into Alexander Mackenzie Secondary School and for you to engage in and learn more about our school. If you have registered to be in Grade 9 for September 2020, please check your school Gmail account as we have sent you an invitation to join our classroom! We are excited for you to join the AMSS community!
- AMSS is located in School Bus Zone 2
- Our school colours are blue and yellow
- We are the home of the Mustangs!
- AMSS offers a free Breakfast program in our Resource Room for all students from 7:30am - 8:00am
- Our cafeteria is open daily for lunch. Feel free to bring your lunch from home or you can purchase food from the cafeteria. We have daily lunch specials as well as soups, sandwiches, pizza, fruit and veggie plates, and much more!
- Each morning, after O Canada, and the Territorial Acknowledgement, Mr. Waller and his team provide students and staff with daily announcements. We learn about important reminders, lunch details, fun activities, and of course- sports updates.
We will be holding our Grade 9 Registration / Orientation Day on Tuesday, September 1st, 2020. This summer, you will receive detailed information in the mail regarding this event. On registration/orientation day, you will have the chance to:
- Receive your timetable, locker, and lock (provided by AMSS)
- Tour the school, find your classrooms, practice opening your lock
- Meet your teachers and other Grade 9 students
- Connect with our Student Success Team to answer any additional questions you may have
- Pay Student Activity Fees
- Purchase Phys Ed Uniforms (Optional)
- Purchase Yearbook (Optional)
Period A 8:10 am – 9:25 am
Period B 9:35 am – 10:50 am
Lunch 10:50 am – 11:25 am
Period C 11:30 am – 12:45 pm
Period D 12:55 pm – 2:10 pm
Community Service Hours
Did you know, students must complete 40 hours of community involvement in order to graduate? Students are eligible to begin completing these hours as soon as they officially graduate grade 8! Consider using the summer before Grade 9 to find ways to volunteer in our community. There are a lot of community events and organizations that could use your help! Click here to view the requirements and/or download a tracking form .
Ms. Iacobelli and Mr. Elliott are available in Student Services to assist students with:
- Course selection and career planning
- Post-Secondary information and application assistance
- Scholarship and financial aid information
- Confidential counselling and referral service
Please contact Ms. Iacobelli (email@example.com) or Mr. Elliott (firstname.lastname@example.org) should you have any questions about your courses for Grade 9.
AMSS Student Success Team
Our Student Success Team works with students, parents, and teachers to ensure that a plan is put in place for each student to work towards achieving their credits. Student success strategies may include extra help sessions, working in our Student Success Room as an alternative work space, credit recovery, or credit rescue initiatives. Students may be approached by members of this team during the course of the school year as needed.
Our Resource Centre is open to all students who require extra assistance in any subject area, or an alternative space to work. Students and their families will be invited to meet with our Resource Teacher, Mrs. Thomas, on an annual basis or as needed to review the student's Individual Education Plan. If you have any questions regarding your IEP, please contact Mrs. Thomas at email@example.com.
Naadmaagewin AaKin'gan (Helping Room)
Our Helping Room is an Indigenous Student Centre which provides a caring and supportive space for our FNMI students. Mr. Bressette, Ms. Oliver, and Ms. Romlewski provide academic, social, and cultural support for our students.
We have many extra-curricular activities available at AMSS. Make your high school experience memorable by taking part in the fun! These activities include:
● Cross Country
● Track and Field
● Girls Volleyball
● WELLNESS (Student Council)
● Art Club
● Robotics Club
● Yearbook Club
● Student Art Show
*Teams and Clubs are subject to change annually depending on interest, and availability of staff advisors.
Ms. Colbran organizes our school clothing. There will be many opportunities throughout the school year to order your favourite Mustang hoodies, sweatpants, golf shirts and other fun Mustang Wear. Stay tuned for more information.