J. Gordon Quigley was the first Principal of John McGregor Secondary
School. He served the school until 1972. Mr. Quigley presided over
the development of JMSS from a junior high school in 1957, through two
additions, to a fully composite high school in 1965. His constant
encouragement that we "aim to excel"
set the high standards in education that make our students and
alumni successful contributing members of the Municipality of
Chatham-Kent and beyond.
Mr. Quigley made such a significant impact
on JMSS that students and faculty proposed that the school be renamed
after him. This suggestion was declined by the then Kent County Board
of Education (now the Lambton Kent District School Board) as the school
already bore the name of John McGregor, a notable figure in our local history
including participation in the War of 1812.
of the school library provided a new opportunity for Mr. Quigley's
achievements in education to be recognized. A new library for JMSS was
first proposed in 1979. Four more proposals and 20 years later,
construction of the new facility began in 1999. The grand re-opening of
the J.G. Quigley Library was celebrated on May 31, 2000.
Laporte continues the long tradition of welcoming Panthers to the
Library to engage in learning, literacy and leisure activities.