The Congress of Black Women of Canada was first convened in Toronto, Ontario in 1973 under the sponsorship of the Canadian Negro Women's Association, which was organized in 1951.
Through their discussions, it became apparent that there was a need for a national organization that could address issues facing Black women in Canada.
In 1974, the Montreal Regional Committee was founded.
Two years later, the delegates at a conference in Halifax set up a national organization and in 1977, in Windsor, a National Steering Committee was established to build a communication network and draft a constitution and an organizational structure.
It was in Winnipeg, in 1980, where the national organization was launched, the constitution ratified, and a national executive council was selected.
The Congress of Black Women remains dedicated to improving the lives of all Black women and their families in their local and national communities.