W. J. Baird P. S. was built in 1951, and the official opening was held on October 18, 1951.
It was named in honour of W. J. Baird, who passed away dramatically in the course of the opening ceremonies.
Mr. Baird first taught in Blenheim in 1895, and became a principal
in 1900. Six years later, he became the Secretary of the School Board,
and served in that capacity for 40 years.
In 1916, Mr. Baird became the Blenheim postmaster and remained in
this position until his retirement. He was also an artist and two of his
paintings are displayed in the front foyer .