As you are likely aware, the Ontario Minister of Education has ordered that all Ontario schools remain closed from March 14 to April 5, 2020, in response to the emergence in Ontario of COVID-19. This closure extends from the recommendation from the Provincial Chief Medical Officer of Health and is made by Ministerial Order, which is permitted in the Education Act.
This decision is a proactive measure by the Government of Ontario to support the health and well-being of Ontarians. The health and safety of our students and staff is a top priority for the LKDSB. Chatham-Kent and Lambton Public Health have stated that the risk for COVID-19 in Chatham-Kent and Lambton County remains low.
The LKDSB continues to gather information and will follow directions from the Ministry of Education, local and provincial public health officials, the Public Health Agency of Canada and our Pandemic Influenza Protocol/Plan regarding the plan for the return to school after April 5. The LKDSB will provide updates as soon as new information becomes available.
Based on the information to date, please be aware of the following information:
General information about school closures
- All publicly funded schools are closed from March 14 to April 5, 2020.
- The school board was not made aware of this decision before the public announcement.
- The intent of the Ministerial Order is to reduce gatherings, especially by those who have travelled or have been exposed to travellers over the March Break.
- It is recommended that those who have travelled or been exposed to those who have are encouraged to respect the 14-day period after March Break by not putting themselves in a position to contract or spread COVID-19.
- The LKDSB will take direction from the Ministry of Education and local and provincial Medical Officers of Health regarding reopening schools on April 6.
- All schools will receive a deep cleaning during the school closure and the LKDSB will continue to follow its regular practice of exercising high standards of cleanliness in its facilities.
Information regarding student programming scheduled March 23-April 5
- Some teaching staff may use their online learning tools to support student learning (Note: This would not be part of any student assessment).
- The OSSLT will not run as scheduled. Details have not been determined.
- There has been no decision about whether the school year would be extended.
- All field trips scheduled in March and April will be cancelled. Further communications will be provided by your school.
- All LKSSAA activities, including games, tournaments and practices, have been postponed until further notice.
Information regarding Daycares and Community Use of Schools
- School-based day cares will be closed March 14-April 5, 2020. Further communication will be provided by individual childcare operators.
- The Ontario's Support for Parents Program put in place during strike action days will not be available to parents/guardians during this closure.
- Community Use of Schools will be cancelled March 14-April 5. Please refer to CLASS for further information.
The LKDSB will continue to post information from the Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health and Chatham-Kent and Lambton Public Health regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Board and school websites to inform school communities as it becomes available.
All updates regarding COVID-19 will be posted on the LKDSB website here.
For further information and the most up-to-date announcements regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit:
We appreciate your ongoing support in promoting the overall health and well-being of students and staff.
Please visit the LKDSB website (www.lkdsb.net) regularly for up-to-date information.
Director of Education
Download a copy of Director Howitt's letter to parents/guardians: March13_Parent_Guardian_Letter.pdf