Hello Panther Parents and Guardians
To aid in the transition to school in September please review “A Day In The Life – Sept 2021” . Please remember that as part of our reopening plan ( Reopening and Operating Our Schools - Lambton Kent District School Board (lkdsb.net) ) all visitors to the building will be required to wear a medical grade mask. If you do not have such a mask, we can provide one for you. For all updates and resources related to our board and COVID-19 please access the information using COVID-19 - Lambton Kent District School Board (lkdsb.net).
Information regarding a COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic at JMSS will be sent out soon. Please contact Chatham Kent-Public Health if you have any questions. To find clinics in Chatham-Kent please refer to the Overall schedule .
We look forward to greeting your children on Tuesday September 7th.
A Day In The Life – Sept 2021
In the morning
• The student has completed the screening using COVID-19 school screening (ontario.ca) and the result is “Go to School”. Parents are asked to monitor and/or remind students to complete the screener. They will be asked as part of the attendance process.
• Please do not arrive to school before 7:50 (bus students excepted). Please note that all school doors will be locked at 8:15 for the remainder of the day. Access to the building can only be made using the front doors after this time.
• Student brings a lunch with them to school that keeps in mind any food challenges that their classmates may have.
• Student has brought their refillable water bottle and a mask.
• You should not arrive to school or school area before 7:50 am. Bus students are excepted.
• You enter the school with your mask on, hand hygiene at the door. Once you enter the “square” you move to the right (counter-clockwise) Note: a lot of students may not know what counter-clockwise means, please help them understand.
• You are to go directly to your classroom (no wandering, no lockers), while waiting for your teacher make sure you maintain distance.
• When your teacher takes attendance you will also confirm that you have completed the school screener and its results we “Go to School”.
• All doors to the school will be locked at 8:15am for the balance of the day.
During Class Time
• While students are inside their classrooms they should be mindful of distance, even when wearing a mask.
• While students are outside with their class they are permitted to take their masks off but need to maintain a 2m distance. (see below regarding outside breaks)
• If you need to go to the washroom or refill your water bottle it has to be recorded on the sign in/out sheet in the classroom/lunch room.
• Be mindful of the capacity signs – if there are too many you need to wait outside the washroom in a physically distanced line
• Return to class as soon as you are finished, walking around the block counter-clockwise
• Please be prepared to take outdoor breaks with your class when the weather cooperates
• Your mask must be worn until you have exited the building and you should be conscious of maintain appropriate distance
• Students are expected to bring a lunch to school, however it is possible to leave the building for Lunch
• At the beginning of lunch all students will gather their belongings and either leave the school for lunch or stay for lunch.
• If you are leaving the school for lunch, then the following conditions apply:
o You must leave at the beginning of the lunch period
o You must reenter through the front entrance and use the sanitizer as you enter
o You may not reenter until 11:15 am. The door will be unlocked from 11:15 to 11:35 (modifications may be made for inclement weather)
o When you reenter you will move directly to your afternoon class. Once you come back into the building you are expected to stay in the building.
• If you are remaining in the school for lunch, then you will move to your afternoon class and need to keep the following in mind:
o Some classrooms may eat in an alternate location. You will be made aware of the location prior to the lunch break on the first day of Week 1 and Week 2.
o Students need to be mindful that others in the class may have specific allergies that have a significant effect on their personal health so:
Teachers will let the class be aware of any potential issues (without identifying specific students) so that they can bring a lunch that is safe for all
Students are not to share lunch items with others
Masks are only off as students are seated facing forward while eating their lunch.
o Students are to stay in their PM classroom or designated Lunchroom during lunch so they may wish to bring a book or other appropriate activity to occupy their time
• On Week A, bus students will be released at 2:10pm to go to their busses, they may exit through the doors on the east side of the building. Non-bus students will be dismissed at 2:13 and should leave out of the nearest door to their classroom
• On Week B, non-bus students will be dismissed at 2:10 and should leave out of the nearest door to their classroom. Bus students will be released at 2:13pm to go to their busses, they may exit through the doors on the east side of the building.
Attendance “What ifs”
• What if I missed the day before? If your parent did not call or email JMSS.Attendance@lkdsb.net then please bring a note to your AM teacher the next day.
• What if I am late? Well, the doors will be locked at 8:15 so you will have to come to the front door and use the video doorbell for someone to let you in. You will then go directly to class and your teacher will mark the arrival time.
• What if I have an appointment? When you arrive bring a note to the office and we will give you an attendance slip, or have your parent call the school. When you return, please stop by the office so that we can sign you back in.