This letter is to notify you of an incident that occurred at the school on Friday, February 15, 2019.
At approximately 9:30 a.m., a small fire started on a stove located in a kitchen area and was contained within this single location. Upon discovery of the fire, the fire alarm was activated and building occupants were immediately evacuated and moved to a neighbouring church. The fire had been extinguished and the local fire department responded quickly.
At approximately 10:30 a.m., the fire department confirmed the school was safe and cleared for re-entry and students and staff returned to their classrooms as normal. There was no damage to any classroom areas and the fire department confirmed there are no concerns regarding air quality in the school.
Student and staff safety are a top priority for the Lambton Kent District School Board (LKDSB). We appreciate the cooperation of students and staff in following the school's emergency preparedness plan to evacuate the building in a timely manner and relocate to safe location.
The LKDSB's Health and Safety Department and Facilities Department are working with the school to assess and repair any damages, as well as ensure any further necessary safety measures are in place.
Should you have any questions or concerns, you are encouraged to contact the school.
Download a copy of the letter: Feb15_GBPS_Letter.pdf