As you are aware, the Ontario Minister of Education announced that schools will remain closed to students for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, all Lambton Kent District School Board (LKDSB) schools will remain closed to students until the end of June.
Following this announcement, the LKDSB has been working with school staff and local Medical Officers of Health to develop a plan for access to student personal belongings beginning June 8, 2020 on Monday-Thursday from 12-4 p.m. The safety and well-being of students, staff and families is paramount for the LKDSB. As such, the following protocol for the retrieval of student belongings has been approved by the Medical Officers of Health for Chatham-Kent and Sarnia-Lambton.
Parents/guardians and student(s) who have not been travelling outside Canada within 14 days, are not ill with respiratory illness or COVID-19 symptoms and are not quarantined or in self-isolation, and have completed the Covid-19 Self -Assessment below can request access from their School Principal to visit the school to recover their items. Click here to complete the COVID-19 Self-Assessment.
Please review the following protocol for accessing your child's belongings from the school they attend:
Sign-up for a timeslot to retrieve student items: Important procedures and links to online booking are below.
Please note the following access protocols:
- Due to current Provincial restrictions on Access to School Buildings - along with local Public Health guidelines – unscheduled or random visitors can not be allowed entry to our building sites. Any concerns about building entry should be directed to the school Principal.
- At all times while in the building visitors must practice safe physical distancing of staying at least 2 meters (six feet) away from all other people, excepting their own family members.
Return of School Items
Families are able to maintain loaned LKDSB IT devices until there is a return to face-to-face learning. For Grade 12 graduates and non-returning students, further communication will be provided for those families.
Tables will be provided for the return of LKDSB property such as textbooks, Team uniforms, library books or technology.
All of the information is provided on the school website:
For up-to-date COVID-19 information, Learn at Home resources, community supports and mental health resources and supports, visit the LKDSB website.
Should you have any further questions, please contact your school.
Chatham Kent Secondary School
Please continue reading for very important procedures for Student/Parent Access to CKSS to Retrieve Personal Belongings:
This process has been developed with and approved by the local Chatham-Kent Chief Medical Officer of Health, as well as by reviewing other LKDSB protocols. No other individuals are permitted to enter school buildings (e.g. non-registered students, additional parents, other family members or visitors).
Strict Building Visiting Guidelines and Instructions:
- The sole parent/guardian plus their student(s) who can request access from their School Principal to visit their child's school to recover their items are those that have not been travelling outside Canada within 14 days, are not ill with respiratory illness or Covid-19 symptoms and are not quarantined or in self-isolation.
- Before any request to enter their specific school site, the parent/guardian and student(s) must complete and clear the online Covid-19 screening tool at: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/
- Once these conditions have been met, the parent/guardian may then request to enter their specific school site with their child under very strict conditions. Grade 12's and students wanting to pick up yearbooks are asked to book during the second week, (June 15-18) as grad signs and yearbooks will only be available during that time. Click on one of the links below to book a time slot.
Student Locker Access June. 8 - 11, 2020
Student Locker Access June. 15 - 18, 2020
- Sign up times will begin Monday, June 8 to Thursday, June 18, from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. with the exception of Fridays. CKSS will be closed on Fridays for rigorous cleaning.
- Please drop off students in the circle drive off of McNaughton Ave, and then park vehicle in the east parking lot off of Taylor Trail. No parking will be allowed in the circle in the front of the school, as this is a fire route. The front of the school will be used as an entrance only and everyone will be expected to exit from the east side doors into the school parking lot. When entering the school, individuals must check in with supervising staff. All other doors will be locked.
- Please observe safe social distancing as indicated by the safety cones at the school entrance while waiting to check in. While in the building, please continue to maintain social distancing of at least 2m and follow normal hand hygiene and cough etiquette.
- Individuals are expected to use hand sanitizer at the entrance of the building, which will be provided at the doors.
- Individuals should bring their own bags and knapsacks for carrying belongings away.
- Family groups or single students must go directly to their locker to remove all their belongings and leave the building. Classrooms will remain locked.
- Lockers are to be emptied of all contents, and the locks locked on the locker, with the doors left open. Garbage pails will be set up in the hallways to dispose of any unwanted items.
- There will be 5 tables set up in the front foyer area on the main floor and 4 tables set up upstairs for students to place the following items:
a) school textbooks or library books that are being returned, or
b) LKDSB Technology that has been lent for student use is being returned. It is the family's responsibility to ensure a staff member is present when these items are returned and logged in. (Mandatory for grade 12 students graduating and not-returning – optional for other LKDSB technology in student hands in other grades),
c) Athletic team uniforms that need to be returned, and
d) Any other items that were borrowed from teachers (i.e. calculators, etc.)
- The Main Office will be closed, and any refund cheques will be mailed at the end of June 2020.
- There will be no access to water fountains or washroom facilities in the school. Elevators are to be used only as required due to accessibility needs.