Specialist High Skills Major Program Explained
The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a Ministry approved program you can participate in during grade eleven and twelve.
It is valuable because it shows that you have focused your education toward a particular employment sector.
Earning the SHSM
- Complete a bundle of eight to ten grade 11/12 courses focused on a particular employment sector, including two co-op credits.
- Earn industry recognized certifications and awareness training related to the employment sector.
- Use the Ontario Skills Passport to track the skills you are gaining. (The OSP has been developed by the Government of Ontario to help employers, employees and students track their job related skills and work habits. Click here to find out more information.)
- Take advantage of Reach Ahead opportunities to connect with the student's post-secondary plans.
- Participate in sector related Experiential Learning and Career Exploration activities.
How Are SHSM Graduates Recognized?
- Embossed Red Seal on Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
- A SHSM Record, recognized by post-secondary institutions and sectors, documenting the courses and experiential learning.
- SHSM sector recognition on official high school transcript.
SHSM Application Form.pdf